Friday, 31 March 2017

Review: Clutch by Lisa Becker


Clutch by Lisa Becker
Series: Standalone
Genre: Contemporary / Romance
Length: 140 pages
Published on 26th October 2015 by Author
Purchase: Amazon 
Lisa Becker: Website | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook
Received from author in exchange for an honest review

Synopsis: clutch: a novel is the laugh-out-loud, chick lit romance chronicling the dating misadventures of Caroline Johnson, a single purse designer who compares her unsuccessful romantic relationships to styles of handbags – the “Hobo” starving artist, the “Diaper Bag” single dad, the “Briefcase” intense businessman, etc. With her best friend, bar owner Mike by her side, the overly-accommodating Caroline drinks a lot of Chardonnay, puts her heart on the line, endures her share of unworthy suitors and finds the courage to discover the “Clutch” or someone she wants to hold onto.

Earlier this year I'd just finished a book and had two books I was part way through that were both 800 pages long. I needed something new, quick, and easy to read before I ended up in a book slump.

Luckily I remembered I had a copy of Clutch still left to read and review and from reading the authors other books I knew this would be perfect.

We're introduced to Caroline when shes young and starts her love of handbags when a family member gives her one. Flashforward a fair bit and her love for handbags remains. She goes to university for business to help gain a better understanding of how to succeed in starting her own but its her time after where the story really starts.

Caroline is a successful owner of her own handbag company but has had no success in finding the right man for her. Each chapter, delightfully named after a type of bag, focuses on her dates with different men. Men who fit the type of bag the chapter is named after.


When I read this I typically read a chapter a night so it felt to me like lots of short stories because her adventures, and ultimately failings, with these guys were nice little stories in their own.

(Its not actually a collection of short stories though, they all do tie up and relate, and there is an over arching story and friendships that continue throughout but I just thought that this was a nice way to look at it.)

Its hard to say that any of the men she dates during  this book are a favourite when its Mike who she met at university who really stole the show.

He genuinely cares for Caroline and has a great sense of humour, so when she brings in these less than stellar guys to the bar he's there to add in a few sly comments which are great.

I think what I like best about Mike is he never makes a move on Caroline. He lets her date all these not always great guys, he lets her date some probably really good guys if only they'd be more open to talking, and he's there for her when she needs help. He doesn't ever step the line that she's drawn between the two but instead waits for her to consider him as an option.

It was just nice y'know reading about something that was such an obvious relationship to be and to not see the male push or force it.

I do however think the overall conclusion of this happening was rather short and I would've love to read more of the two of them. But the focus of this book was Carolines journey through men to him.

Anyway I enjoyed reading this, it was exactly what I needed at the time but I do think some elements of the story were lacking and that Lisa Becker's other books were much better.

(Please note: Romances are like my least favourite genres so me enjoying them is good shit)
3.5 stars / 5 stars


1 comment:

  1. I want to read this just for Mike - he sounds like a great character!

    The idea of her naming her dates after bags is pretty cute too. I'll keep this one in mind when I need something light and fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.