Tuesday, 9 August 2016

Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Raven Cycle #1
Genre: Young Adult | Fantasy
Length: 454 pages
Published on 1st September 2012 by Scholastic
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD | Waterstones
Maggie Stiefvater: Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Facebook | Goodreads
Copy bought myself.

Synopsis:
Even if Blue hadn't been told her true love would die if she kissed him, she would stay away from boys. Especially the ones from the local private school. Known as Raven Boys, they only mean trouble.

But this is the year that everything will change for Blue.

This is the year that she will be drawn into the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys. And the year Blue will discover that magic does exist.

This is the year she will fall in love.

I wasn't going to write a review for this one, but after only seeing my review of the audiobook show up over and over it made me sad and I wanted to update my thoughts on this.

As I said back then the story hooked me and I wanted to know what happened next and I finally, finally, got around to it this year. I've read the full series now and met Maggie herself (she was impressed with all the post it notes in my copy of The Raven King).

I'm glad I waited so long to read it because it meant I could read one book after the other without much wait.

I'm getting a little off track here.

Anyway I really loved The Raven Boys. I still don't think the synopsis does it any justice and I love to describe it as a story about Real Magic in the sense as you're reading this book the way the fantasy elements are woven into our world make it seem like this story really could take place in across the water. Rather than say across the universe.

The characters were all very unique and lovable with very different personalities. Ronan, Adam, and Noah remained my favourites to read about throughout the whole series. Their background stories really helped sell them to me and make me want to protect them from everything. Even if that wasn't always a do-able thing.

If you've avoided reading this series because of the hype, I'm sorry to potentially add to that reason however I do urge you to one day borrow these books from a friend or library and gain your own opinions on them.
5 stars / 5 stars

There are other books in this series, I've read them all but I wont be reviewing them.
The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3) The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.