Tuesday 8 October 2013

Gargoyle Addiction by Livia Olteano - DNF Review

Gargoyle Addiction by Livia Olteano



Published: 12th July 2013
Genre: Fantasy / Paranormal Romance
Series: Otherworld Summons #1
Page Count: -

Synopsis: Summonari don’t trust. Under their command, they summon any number of creatures from the Otherwolds—but never trust them outside of the summoning.
Gargoyles don’t love. Fierce descendants of dragons, they function on power and fear—never love.
Karla isn’t the happily-ever-after type of girl. No territory-hungry guy is going to stick flags all over her unclaimed grounds.
Kann’s world is death and betrayal. As Dar Primus of Haus Varis, he’s expected to follow tradition but he’s not your regular gargoyle. In fact, he’s anything but. 

One fateful Friday night, Otherworlds collide. Stuck together in one world or another, Karla and Kann face everything from Awakenings and turbulent love to Festnavals and bloodthirsty scorned suitors.

If there’s one thing they can’t escape, it’s the addiction to each other. And they've got it bad.


Review: 
1 / 5 stars
Did not finish
I originally received this book for review for part of a book tour but I pulled out after realising I wouldn't be able to complete the book, nor provide a positive review, and after all that is what tours are all about. I've held off until now to post my review of what I did read so it wouldn't get in the way of the tour but also because I am a firm believe that negative reviews are as helpful as positive ones. I've stated I did not finish the book so maybe it does get better but I simply couldn't get through it.


Whilst this review is a negative one, I do have some praise for it. I read the total of three chapters I believe, and I adored the first one. I loved being introduced to Karla, her attitude was funny, especially when describing the big breasted blonde at the start, she had a gay best friend which was awesome and she had some mystery and history to herself. The history being she was in a car crash at a young age which meant she was now unable to have kids herself, and the mystery being that all her family died between 32-35 (I think those were the given ages, but yes around that age) and I thought that was pretty spooky. 


Its the chapters that follow this though that it started making an uncomfortable read for myself. 

Okay so before it gets uncomfortable, its just a little odd. Whilst Karla sleeps she accidentally summons Kann who is a gargoyle, and um the villain in the book she was reading as she fell asleep. He's one of those villains who the readers aren't supposed to hate or think of as villain-y because they're totally hot and to die for. I get that, okay, I get that some villains are hot and that takes away some of how we feel towards them. But this one just irked me. We see this part from his point of view which is why we know what has gone on because well Karla has no idea at all, and with him being a gargoyle he is very different to us humans, his whole thought process is a lot more predatory which is great you know, providing us with a actions and thoughts to identify him as a different being. But once those thoughts start getting to be predatory towards Karla, it was kinda freaky and made me question how and where this was going.

And for me, I was right to question this. He attacks her, twice I think, to drink her blood, being very forceful and terrifying her. She was scared, he could smell her fear and she noted it too, trying to wiggle free which only tightened his grip on her and then choosing to try and become limp in case that worked, it didn't. Now don't get me wrong, a guy can be as hot as he wants, he can be Hugh Jackman for all I care but if he treated me like that I certainly wouldn't want to become his new plaything in bed, or on the sofa in this case. 
For me it just screamed rape, yeah so what she was attracted to him physically, but damn, I can't justify this being any more than glorified rape. It made me too uncomfortable to read, I struggled through the chapter to see how it ended, if she tried to fight him off - she didn't by the way but ahem, maybe she had given up from past experience of the blood draining? - 'eh I'm sorry I couldn't find this hot in any way like other readers have and couldn't continue with the read. 
Livia Olteano: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
*When purchasing through this link, I will receive a small amount, once I have enough saved up I will put it towards a giveaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.