Monday 26 August 2013

The Companions by R.A. Salvatore - Review

The Companions by R. A. Salvatore

The Companions (The Sundering, #1)

Published: 6th August 2013
Publisher: Wizards of the Coast
Genre: Fantasy / Dungeons & Dragons
Series: The Sundering #1 / The Legend of Drizzt #24
Page Count: 384

Synopsis: This latest instalment in New York Times best-selling R.A. Salvatore's beloved fantasy saga, The Companions moves Salvatore's signature Drizzt into a new era of the Forgotten Realms. As Drizzt's fate hangs in the balance, he reflects on the lives of the trusted allies who stood by his side throughout his early life - the friends now known as the Companions of the Hall. Meanwhile, the first stirring of the Sundering begin.





Review: 
Did Not Finish
3 / 5 stars

I was lucky enough to receive a copy of The Companions from NetGalley, along with the follow up book The Sundering, this is no way effects my opinion of the books.

You're probably wondering why I've rated something and put it as did not finish. Its a little odd to do, but I should probably explain why I'm placing it as dnf first.

This is the first book I've picked up of The Drizzts series, but of course it is also the first book in a smaller series called The Sundering which is why I was okay to start it. Unfortunately I actually have no background knowledge of the Drizzt series what-so-ever. None. Zilch. 

Whilst the book didn't seem to be referring too much to past events that needed further explanation, but it does have names of people and places that - to me - feel like they mean something important. Granted they may not but I feel a like I've kind of been thrown in at the deep end as I have no prior knowledge.

So that explains the dnf, now the rating. 

About half of what I read I did thoroughly enjoy, most of them happened to be Catti-brie's chapters, I found they were well written and really held my attention a lot better than the rest. I think that has to do with her magical abilities and how it allowed more to instantly happen, even at the young age.

The overall storyline - of what I understand from the skimming I've done - held a lot of potential too, its about three hero's being reborn to stop/accomplish something later on in their new lives but they retain their memory and knowledge. It has so much potential to be frakking awesome.

Unfortunately because of the previous reasons stated I didn't think it wise to carry on, instead what I intend to do is return to the series at a later date but instead start with the very first book of the Drizzt series and make my way through all 24 books. 
I also feel like its one of those books I'd be able to take in a lot easier if I were to read a physical copy rather than an ebook.

A challenging task? Yes. But I really want too.

R.A. Salvatore: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
*When purchasing through this link, I will receive a small amount, once I have enough saved up I will put it towards a giveaway.

5 comments:

  1. I got these books as well and they looked good but now I'm a little scared to start them. Huh.
    I hope I don't get this unfinished feeling myself. I hate that.
    Too bad it didn't turn out too well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had their moments but just ughhh, I had a really bad attention span with all the name dropping :c

      Delete
  2. Whoa! I like the new layout, the background is so pretty!

    Well at least you still gave it 3 stars even if you DNFd it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you :3 I'm so pleased with it, I've spent the last two days making sure all my scheduled posts will look pretty with it. I can't thank Lis enoughhhhh.

      Yeah I'm p excited to start the series properly but I doubt it'll be any time soon

      Delete
  3. It definitely helps if readers are already familiar with some of Salvatore's Forgotten Realms novels before reading The Companions. Fans of the other books would probably enjoy this, as they're already invested in these characters. I've only read a few of the Drizzt books, but I also struggled with this one (though I made it through to the end).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.