Tuesday 18 June 2013

Nia's Review: Delirium


Delirium by Lauren Oliver.

First Published: February 3rd 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: Delirium #1
Page count: 441
Synopsis:  They say that the cure for Love will make me happy and safe forever, And I've always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed.
Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.
Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, when she falls in love.



Review: It took me awhile to pick up this book even though I bought it over six months ago on a whim. It took me this long because the blurb led me to believe that this book was going to be all about one girls love, but it really surprised me with a much deeper and interesting plot than I first expected. I did think it took awhile to get interesting and the beginning was rather boring, but the end really grabbed me and without giving anything away I'll definitely be reading the next one.  
I loved both Lena and Alex they worked well as characters and you didn't think of them as your typical YA boy meets girl, boys hot, girls awkward and the author pushes them together. I also loved Hana especially in the beginning of the novel when Lena is still a little boring. I will admit that I didn't like Lena in the beginning mostly because I like my heroine to be strong and fearless, but the more Lauren Oliver developed her character the more I started to like her.
All in all I really enjoyed this book, it did take awhile to get into but I'm glad I carried on reading because I think this book series could become one of my favorites. 
Amazon: UK | US
Lauren Oliver: Website | Goodreads | Twitter