Wednesday 12 December 2012

Wishlist Wednesday (27)


Wishlist Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Pen to Paper where we can share books that are on our wishlist.

I can't remember how I stumbled across Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegerr and I've heard very mixed things about it since then however I love ghost stories and it sounds pretty wonderful to me.
Her Fearful Symmetry
GRSix years after the phenomenal success of The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger has returned with a spectacularly compelling and haunting second novel set in and around Highgate Cemetery in London.

When Elspeth Noblin dies of cancer, she leaves her London apartment to her twin nieces, Julia and Valentina. These two American girls never met their English aunt, only knew that their mother, too, was a twin, and Elspeth her sister. Julia and Valentina are semi-normal American teenagers--with seemingly little interest in college, finding jobs, or anything outside their cozy home in the suburbs of Chicago, and with an abnormally intense attachment to one another.

The girls move to Elspeth's flat, which borders Highgate Cemetery in London. They come to know the building's other residents. There is Martin, a brilliant and charming crossword puzzle setter suffering from crippling Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; Marjike, Martin's devoted but trapped wife; and Robert, Elspeth's elusive lover, a scholar of the cemetery. As the girls become embroiled in the fraying lives of their aunt's neighbors, they also discover that much is still alive in Highgate, including--perhaps--their aunt, who can't seem to leave her old apartment and life behind.
Niffenegger weaves a captivating story in Her Fearful Symmetry about love and identity, about secrets and sisterhood, and about the tenacity of life--even after death.

5 comments:

  1. I liked the movie but the book wasn't that great for me. Maybe this will be a better read than TTTW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that
    helped me. Kudos!
    Here is my blog post - Black Guy and His White Chick Part 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pick! I enjoyed The Time Traveller's Wife, so am looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this one on my shelves for SO LONG, but still haven't picked it up. May have to read it when I've finished University in May!

    Great choice :)

    Dani
    Pen to Paper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I've never heard of this. Sounds interesting. Hope you get it!

    My WW: http://blueskyshelf.blogspot.com/2012/12/wishlist-wednesday-6.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.