Wednesday 4 July 2012

Wishlist Wednesday (6)


Wishlist Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Pen to Paper where we can share books that are on our wishlist. 

The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story





I really want to get my hands on and read The Woman in Black by Susan Hill simply because I was hugely disappointed with the movie, everyone was raving how terrifying it was so for once I actually went to the cinema with my Dad rather than waiting for the DVD and lets be honest the whole cinema atmosphere normally adds to the fear factor but it really didn't happen with this, instead it was full of over the top music that gave away when anything dramatic was supposed to happen followed by new "surround sound" screams of the 13 year old girls scattered about the cinema. When it comes to movies, I'm hard to please.
GR: What real reader does not yearn, somewhere in the recesses of his or her heart, for a really literate, first-class thriller: one that chills the body with foreboding of dark deeds to come, but warms the soul with perceptions and language at once astute and vivid? In other words, a ghost story by Jane Austen. Austen we cannot, alas, give you, but Susan Hill's remarkable Woman In Black comes as close as the late twentieth century is likely to provide. Set on the obligatory English moor, on an isolated causeway, the story's hero is Arthur Kipps, an up-and-coming young solicitor who has come north to attend the funeral and settle the estate of Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. The routine formalities he anticipates give way to a tumble of events and secrets more sinister and terrifying than any nightmare: the rocking chair in the nursery of the deserted Eel Marsh House, the eerie sound of pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog, and, most dreadfully, and for Kipps most tragically, the woman in black. The Woman In Black is both a brilliant exercise in atmosphere and controlled horror and a delicious spine-tingler-proof positive that that neglected genre, the ghost story, isn't dead after all.





Hex Hall came up in my Goodreads recommendation's and I think I'd really enjoy it. The plot interests me but I can see it being packed full with filler to lead on to the next book, and I've been reading much to many of those type of books lately.
GR:Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect. As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


20 comments:

  1. Ohmygosh, nice choices! I need a good ghost story nowadays. Gosh, how tempting <3 too bad that movie didn't work out for you, Lauren :/

    and omg, Nia, I still need to read that series, but thank you for bringing it back into my interest! Great choice!

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really really picky with my films though cause I watch so many. I'm too good at guessing what's going to happen :/

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the movie (Woman in Black) and Hex Hall is one of my fave YA series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been so curious about the Women in Black. However I am kind of a dud because ghost stories scare me haha! I have a hard time reading them but, I can read them during the daytime hours so maybe I will give it a try!
    Brittany @ Spare time book blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super curious about it now because I want to compare the movie to it and see if they did a good job at recreating it or not.

      Delete
  4. I love Hex Hall! You guys have to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of any of them but I would check them out, because it seems like books that I would like to read.

    Beathe from Norway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hex Hall is a great series:) just followed you from the meme, check my blog out at http://andreaheltsley.blogspot.com Have a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh nice choices. I haven't seen The Woman in Black yet and has heard from so many people that its scary but I'm still not sure whether to watch it or not as me and scary films just do not mix! Hope you get your hands on these books soon :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog :) New follower too!
    -Becca@Lost in Thought

    ReplyDelete
  8. they both sounds pretty good, great picks!!!! New follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices guys!
    I want to read the woman in black, and I have heard loads about Hex Hall as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Woman in Black would likely give me nightmares, but I do want to read Hex Hall. :)

    Here's Mine @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.