Thursday 5 July 2012

Review: Orchid

Orchid Volume 1 by Tom Morello
Publish: July 11th 2012 (24th in the UK)
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics
Page Count: 114
Series: Orchid #1
Synopsis: When the seas rose, genetic codes were smashed. Human settlements are ringed by a dense wilderness from which ferocious new animal species prey on the helpless. The high ground belongs to the rich and powerful that overlook swampland shanty towns from their fortress-like cities. Iron-fisted rule ensures order and allows the wealthy to harvest the poor as slaves.
Review: I was left a little speechless. This book really made an impression on me, I think it really helps that the back story to every character and to the world is given completely which meant you felt connected and worried for those fighting for their survival, worried for those living on the edge of civilisation praying that the very wild beast stay right away and despising those in power for doing nothing but being in power for all the wrong reasons and even though the world is dangerous and terrifying, it still has this strange and beautiful appearance to it, I wish I could just show you some of the work (well, I have included an image below but there is so much more beauty to the work)! The story follows Simon a freedom fighter who has stolen back the previous leaders mask that is believed to have special powers, he stumbles into the home of Orchid, a teenage prostitute doing what she can to provide for her mother and brother whilst wanting a better life for them too. From the moment Simon enters her life, he turns it upside down, they capture by slave traders and the story follows them on their journey throughout this new and wild Earth. We also get to meet a crazy old lady who lives in the deep wild and a strange, mute "demon" man, it's definitely not your average tale on Earth. I've held back a star even though I really enjoyed reading it simply because considering the book is titled after Orchid, she doesn't really do that much, so I have a feeling that in the next volume we'll definitely get to see her kick some butt and be more of a bad ass, yes? Hopefully. I see it heading in that direction at least because what would be the point in naming the graphic novel after her if she does nothing and because it ends on a cliff hanger! In other words I am completely dying to know what happens next and hope it continues to live up to my expectations.
Recommend? I see no reason why not! Hopefully my local library will get it in stock too cause I think I'd like to reread it.
Amazon: UK | US
Tom Morello: Wiki - yes this is the right link, I was surprised too! :D

3 comments:

  1. Wow, a potential re-read? Awesome review, by the way! <3 This sounds like a really great one, thanks for sharing it! I don't usually pick up books like these, so it's great to sway a bit from my usual line of things, haha! For a book to make a strong impression on you is a wonderful thing! :)

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, even if its just to admire the art a bit more. Its hard to focus a lot on it when you're reading it via your computer! I have high hopes for the second volume.

      Delete
  2. never heard of this but seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.