Tuesday 31 July 2012

Review: Enthralled (Part One)

Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions by Melissa Marr & Kelley Armstrong


Published: September 1st 2011

Publisher: Harper Collins

Page Count: 452
Synopsis: A journey may take hundreds of miles, or it may cover the distance between duty and desire. Sixteen of today’s hottest writers of paranormal tales weave stories on a common theme of journeying. Authors such as Kelley Armstrong, Rachel Caine, and Melissa Marr return to the beloved worlds of their bestselling series, while others, like Claudia Gray, Kami Garcia, and Margaret Stohl, create new land-scapes and characters. But whether they’re writing about vampires, faeries, angels, or other magical beings, each author explores the strength and resilience of the human heart.Suspenseful, funny, or romantic, the stories in Enthralled will leave you moved."Enthralled" is a collection of 14 original teen paranormal short stories from some of today's bestselling YA talent, united with the common theme of road trips.
Reviews: Well obviously I'd have to tackle this book a little differently due to the fact its an anthology but because of my reading slump I've also decided to review half of it now and half of it later because I seem to be getting nowhere with no book even though I'm enjoying them! How does that work? I have no idea. As each story is only a short one I will try my very best to not give too much away but this will also mean the reviews will be short too - now this makes sense!
Introduction: by Melissa Marr & Kelley Armstrong
I actually really enjoyed this introduction it was handy mostly because whilst I've heard of a few of the authors, I have only read books by Melissa Marr in the past so it was nice to get a background story behind why these authors teamed up for this perfect bundle of paranormal journeys.
Giovanni’s Farewell: by Claudia Gray
Claudia Gray, author of the Evernight series which is on my wishlist, opens the book with a ghostly experience of twins Cairo and Ravenna who are different in the paranormal kind of way! Oh did I mention its set in Rome. I was thrilled this was the first story because I went to Rome last year and could relate to a lot of things being mentioned, particularly the heat that seems to be non stop. For me it was the perfect story to open the book with.
Scenic Route: by Carrie Ryan
Carrie Ryan, author of The Forest of Hands and Teeth (also on my wishlist), provides one of my favourite short stories in this anthology. Its about Zombies but never actually says that word nor refers to them too directly, its one that definitely leaves you guessing whilst giving us insight on the lives of two sisters and how they're trying to survive in the horrible world they've been left in.
Red Run: by Kami Garcia
Kami Garcia is the author of the Caster Chronicles (yep, you guessed it! Wishlist!) and we're given another ghost story, but this one is more of a horror ghost story dealing with the murder of a young boy turned human slaughtering ghost maniac! It has a twist of course.
Things About Love: by Jackson Pearce
You have the Fairytale Retellings on your wishlist too right? Well this isn't about Fairytales but it is about Jinn or Genies or Djinn, however you know them best. I haven't been introduced to these creatures before in a book so I was happy to know all about them over these short pages, I think I also favourite this story because we have a main character who isn't hetero - hooray for breaking the mould.
Niederwald: by Rachel Vincent
For those of you who have read the Soul Screams series you need to check this out because this little treat is 4.5 of the series, if you haven't read it, no need to worry because whilst a few things may start off as confusing you're all cleared up way before the end. I adored this world I visited and will be starting the series soon I hope.
Merely Mortal: by Melissa Marr
Ah. Spoilers. That's all I had screaming through my head the entire tale. I've read the first of the Wicked Lovely series and that was a few years ago, I've been meaning to re-start it this year as I have the first three books but I'm going to have to wait until these characters names are lost in my memory. I still enjoyed it though, and all the description was lovely!Facing Facts: by Kelley Armstrong
Whilst I have a LOT of Kelley's books on my wishlist I haven't gotten any of them and I struggled a little with this story - due to being way over tired and getting confused with all the characters - but I still enjoyed it a lot, I do think having background knowledge of this series would of helped a lot though.

Amazon: UK | US
Part Two

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful way of breaking it down. I love anthologies too and this has a solid list of writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was like wow how do I approach this and not miss a story out :)

      Delete
  2. So many authors that I love are featured in this anthology - glad to hear that they have pulled through thus far!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea how many of them were on my wishlist until I checked!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.