Wednesday 25 January 2012

25012012: The Hunger Games Trilogy


Title: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Page Count: 454, 472 and 455

Summary: In a dark vision of the near future, twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live TV show called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed. When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.
Other summaries have not been included to avoid spoilers. 

Reviews: I've been pondering over this review for a while because I kind of feel like "what's the point?", it's everywhere and I have yet to hear anyone say a negative thing about it and the chances are everyone who reads my reviews have already read The Hunger Games.
I was hoping to get this book for Christmas but instead I ended up buying it with a voucher I got for Christmas. I wasn't planning on reading it until my friend, Jacky, went absolutely bonkers over it, yes bonkers. In. Every. Way. Possible.
I picked it up Monday morning on the bus to college knowing I'd enjoy it but not realising how much... come Monday evening I ignored my college deadline, couldn't hold a decent conversation with the boyfriend and refused to game with him, as well as putting off sleep for as long as possible.
On Tuesday I got sent home from college for being ill and even upon arriving home then I tried to ignore how terrible I felt and to not through up so I could finish it. Probably not the best of ideas (
but its okay cause when I was sick the book was safe and the toilet was near). I know I'm getting a little distracted here but I'm just hoping you understand how quickly I got through this book and how desperately I did so, simply because it was that gripping. The story was great and held together by amazing characters that you can't help but love and a setting that was believable.
I made the stupid mistake of only buying the first book so come Tuesday afternoon I had order the other two off Amazon for next day delivery.
Once Catching Fire arrived after I had finished college on Wednesday I started to read it straight away, only taking a break to watch X-men with the boyfriend. Again I had a late night ahead of me and I refused to go to sleep until I had hit page 210 at 3am.
I found the start of this book a little slow but once I got past the initial re-introduction to the characters and setting things heated up, especially once shit started to hit the fan.
I had a full day at college on Thursday and a party to attend to but nevertheless this did not stop me from finishing the book that night! In fact not only did I finish it I also started reading Mockingjay which unfortunately I felt was the weakest of the books in some ways, for example it only picked up at page 100 and I felt a few supposed-to-be-main moments were hardly touched up, mostly towards the end, and the whole ending felt very rushed and ended kind of abruptly
but, now this is a big but at the same time I also feel it was possibly the strongest because dear lord, I didn't half cry. I don't even mean "oh I cried at the end" I mean I cried all. the. way. through. Seriously. I have no idea what was up with me.
I guess it shows either she's a really talented writer or I was over emotional that night and following day.
Now this is really as much as I'm willing to say because if you haven't read the books any in-depth review I give on this book and the following will be spoilers, I mean you know a few things for certain with there being more than one book but for the sake of spoilers, no more is being written.
Recommend: Hell yes.
Rating: 5/5


***SPOILERS SECTION***
I've never really had to add this before but I know those of you who have read it will want to know certain things. For example, Peeta or Gale?
So here I am going to add anything that I deem spoilerific for the above review, and will probably contain some real opinions here.
  • I figured it would just be another Twilight the way everyone was going on about it. Ooops.
  • I watched the trailer after finishing the book and shivers, shivers everywhere! Let's hope it is good.
  • Gale or Peeta? Honestly? Peeta. It's not that I hate Gale it's that he had 6 months with Katniss where he knew how he felt towards her and to make a move or to mention it or to act upon his feelings no matter how small and its not like he didn't know about The Reaping coming up, especially with his name being entered so many times so why not do anything? Oh cause you don't want to ruin your friendship bro have you seen how you live? Do you really think she'd just ditch you because of feelings. Feelings are good especially if your living conditions aren't the best, gives you something to live for. If you can take the risk in hunting, take the bloody risk in getting the girl. Then there is how adorable Peeta is from the moment he's introduces and you can just tell he really does love her, with every ounce of him. It's cute. I also think that it was obvious from the outset that Katniss loved Peeta more, just the way she acted with him even when she was unsure herself or thinking she was pretending. I think she loves Gale too, just more as a brother? But due to her lack of experience in this department and being so used to being closed up she had no idea how to tell her feelings apart.
  • I got a little angry at Mockingjay -  (this is copied at pasted from when I was at about page 100) My friend asked me why I was getting angry to which I replied "Cause they want Katniss for her image and then need Peeta for his words but they just fuck him off and take people who aren’t nearly as important? Also Katniss is pissing me off cause she’s just so erhxcmksadiofhjnk it’s so obvious she loves Peeta and I don’t understand why she can’t see it clearly even though all her emotions, actions and thoughts make it so painstakingly obvious." He replied saying he hates Katniss, to which I said "I don’t hate her, I just wish she was more sure of herself. Like she constantly doubting herself and it’s getting a little annoying. But whatever. I mean she loves Gale too, but it’s nothing like she is with Peeta. I’d say Gale is more of a brother to her."

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading this at the moment - and I agree, it's difficult to concentrate on much with the book sitting there looking at you - everything is so filled with suspense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard work indeed! I'm happy I chose to read them when I did though due to the fact it got me ahead in my reading schedule meaning if I have a slow month at some point it's okay!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.